Why I am a frog
Brace yourself - you're about to learn something new about me, something I've not blogged about before...
I am what is termed a 'cold frog', meaning someone who hates, and avoids, the feeling of being cold. I am more sensitive than others to a drop in temperature, and an avid fan of heaters and tropical climates. Here are the tell-tale signs that signify my frog-like-ness:
I only wear shorts about five times a year. Even then, the most I'll wear are 3/4s.
I hate going out in winter - instead I spend the three coldest months of the year huddled in front of the warmest heater in the house, competing for space with my cat.
I put that many blankets on my bed in winter that I can hardly lift them up to get under them.
When I do get under the blankets, I pull everything right over my head. It doesn't matter that I can't breathe very well, the main thing is being warm, and breathing warm air.
The worst feeling for me is the sore throat you get when you've been sleeping in a cold room: I therefore sleep in the warmest room in the house.
For me, heat packs aren't just good for sore tummies - they're a source of precious warmth when I'm sure I'm going to freeze to death on a -1 degree night.
I just lurrve toe socks. I have about a dozen of them - they are great for keeping that space between your toes warm.
My Mum always goes around opening doors; shortly after, I can be seen shutting them all again.
My favourite saying in winter is, "Mum: you were born in a tent. I, on the other hand, have grown up in houses. Therefore, I am turning the heater on/ shutting this window/ making soup".
Oh yes - soup. In winter I drink copious amounts of soup - probably about four cups a day. If I could get my hands on more, I'd drink it non stop all day.
So you can just imagine my panic tonight when we couldn't get the only good heater in the house to work. Fortunately, I bought a backup electric heater for this purpose. It's blowing on my poor cold feet right now. Yay!
In Summer, I annoy people, because while they're sweating and hating the hot days, I walk around saying "I love this weather". I don't go swimming all that often, partly because there's no water where I live and also because I simply love being hot.
Why I live in one of the colder parts of Australia beats me (although, it wasn't my choice). If I had a choice, I'd live in a tropical climate like Queensland.
As usual, from this time of year onwards, I shall count down the days until summer begins again. It will help make the winter seem less... cold.

5 Comments:
"Sammy are you cold?"
"yeah a little bit"
"YES SAMMY'S COLD. MUM PUT THE HEATER ON!"
Is this a Lockwood Road thing?
I'm the opposite. Although I do feel the cold, I prefer it over hot weather.
Claire and I were discussing tonight about how we rekon since we got older we got colder!
Cool dude...hehe
I like the cold weather because its when I can actually do work the best - the hot weather just seems to drain the life from me, and I find it very hard to get things done.
I had one of the best sleeps the other night - it was when it was cold! It was only 7 hours of sleep, but I felt so refreshed afterwards.
Ohh I absolutely love cold night sleeps, when it's so cold but you are so warmmm!
I find winter to be an exciting time of the year!! (In fact one of my motives of moving to vic was the cold weather, except Bendigo has roughly the same climate as Adelaide, minus the sea breeze)
Well it is not cold. I have been wearing shorts all week. And WHO is the person that keeps spamming me?????????
I never knew they called people like us frogs! I thought they just said we were iron deficient ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home